Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chrismears

Default how do I add new data and have it added to existing data

I have an existing Excel worksheet and I want to be able to add new data to
cells in that sheet. Basically the worksheet contains expense information.
As new receipts are submitted, I want to be able to add these numbers to the
relevant cells, I would like it if all I had to do was type in the new number
and Excel assumed I wanted that new number added to the previous value of the
cell.

Such that.
Existing value for cell (let's say) A1 is $45.00

and I have a new expense of $15.00

all I would do as a user is select cell A1 and key in 15 and then hit
<enter or <tab and this new value is added to 45 that is already there and
the value for cell A1 is now $60.00

Thanks
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

What if you keyed in the wrong amount? You'd be left with an incorrect #
and, unless you noted the balance BEFORE you mis-keyed the new number, you'd
be hosed.

Why not have a sum at the top of a column, i.e.,

=SUM(B2:B100)

and add each new expense at the end of the existing numbers?

Can your idea be accomplished? Yeah, with some VBA code, but for the reason
stated above I'd urge you to forget it.