Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Matlack

Default Function-Date Problems

Hi!
How can I convert a date like this 01/12/06 into one that looks like
this Jan-06 so that a sumif or lookup will get all dates that fall in
January of 2006. Formatting does not do it because the functions still
reads it as 01/12/06.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

--
Brian Matlack
Brian Matlack's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3508

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico

If you want to check just for the month, this formula will give you always
the first day of the month for the given date:
=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1)
You can build your lookup table, or sumif conditions, with that date.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"Brian Matlack" wrote:

Hi!
How can I convert a date like this 01/12/06 into one that looks like
this Jan-06 so that a sumif or lookup will get all dates that fall in
January of 2006. Formatting does not do it because the functions still
reads it as 01/12/06.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

--
Brian Matlack
Brian Matlack's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3508
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=543470

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Hi, Brian

Try this....

For dates in A1:A20 and Amounts in B1:B20

C1: =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(A1:A20,"MMM-YY")="Jan-06")*B1:B20)

That formula returns the sum of the Col_B values where the Col_A date
is in the month of January 2006.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Matlack

Thanks Miquel! Works Great!

--
Brian Matlack
Brian Matlack's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3508
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=543470

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Matlack

Ron Coderre Wrote:
Hi, Brian

Try this....

For dates in A1:A20 and Amounts in B1:B20

C1: =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(A1:A20,"MMM-YY")="Jan-06")*B1:B20)

That formula returns the sum of the Col_B values where the Col_A date
is in the month of January 2006.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

Thanks Ron! This will help in another area of my spreadsheet as well!