Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
quailc

Default SUMIF using 2 Criteria in 2 columns

I would be grateful if someone could offer their advice on how to solve
a problem I am having with XL.

I am trying to sum all the values in column C if column A and Column B
meet the correct criteria.

If Column A = X and Column B = B then Sum all the corresponding values
in Column C.

Column A Column B Column C
X B 1
Y B 7
Z C 2
X B 3
Y C 10
(I.e. Answer = 4)

My Excel book quotes the formula below:
I.e. {SUM((A:A="X")*(B:B="B)*(C:C))}

This formula does not look at the whole Column A only the cell in the
same row as the formula.

How can I get the formula to look at the entire array of data and
return the sum of all the column C items that meet the correct
conditions in Columns A &B?

--
quailc
quailc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34442

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A200="X"),--(B1:B200="B"),C1:C200)

Note that SUMPRODUCT doesn't work with complete columns, you have to specify
a range.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"quailc" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
quailc

Bob,

Many Thanks for your advice with this. The SUMPRODUCT function works
perfectly! You have saved me an awful lot of time messing around with
this.

Kind regards
Corinne

--
quailc
quailc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34442
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=542080

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
quailc

I would be grateful if someone could offer their advice on how to solve
a problem I am having with XL.

Is it possible to perform the SUMPRODUCT function on a data range that
is in a seperate workbook?

I have tried selecting the range from another workbook but it comes
back with #value result.

How do I link the 2 workbooks together for this to work correctly?

--
quailc
quailc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34442
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=542080

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Yes you can. Show us what you have tried.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"quailc" wrote in
message ...

I would be grateful if someone could offer their advice on how to solve
a problem I am having with XL.

Is it possible to perform the SUMPRODUCT function on a data range that
is in a seperate workbook?

I have tried selecting the range from another workbook but it comes
back with #value result.

How do I link the 2 workbooks together for this to work correctly?

--
quailc
quailc's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=542080

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
quailc

I am trying to link my current workbook with:
Workbook name: Leave Planner Apr 06 - Nov 06 working.xls
Worksheet: May 06

=(SUMPRODUCT(1*('[Leave Planner Apr 06 - Nov 06 working.xls]May 06
'!$A$41:$A$68="A&C Cert"),1*('[Leave Planner Apr 06 - Nov 06
working.xls]May 06 '!$D$40="E")*'[Leave Planner Apr 06 - Nov 06
working.xls]May 06 '!$D$41:$D$68))

Thank you
Corinne