-   -   How do I sort a column of street number/street name by the stree. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/8858-how-do-i-sort-column-street-number-street-name-stree.html)

JHoleman1

How do I sort a column of street number/street name by the stree.

How do I sort a column of street number/street name by the street name. I
want to omit the numeric and sort by the street name in Ecel.

Example: 412 South Street
1512 Mercury Ave

In this example, Mercury Street would be listed first in alpha order.

Bob Phillips

Create a helper column, say B, and in B1 use

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,99)

copy down and then sort on column B

--

HTH

RP

"JHoleman1" wrote in message
How do I sort a column of street number/street name by the street name.

want to omit the numeric and sort by the street name in Ecel.

Example: 412 South Street
1512 Mercury Ave

In this example, Mercury Street would be listed first in alpha order.

JHoleman1

I literally copied your formula to my spreadsheet (changing the column and
row number) and nothing happened. Hit enter and my helper column just showed
the formula. I must be doing something wrong. Any other suggestions?

"JHoleman1" wrote:

How do I sort a column of street number/street name by the street name. I
want to omit the numeric and sort by the street name in Ecel.

Example: 412 South Street
1512 Mercury Ave

In this example, Mercury Street would be listed first in alpha order.

Bob Phillips

That suggests the column is formatted as text. Edit the B1 cell, F2, and
just hit return.Then copy it on down, then sort.

--

HTH

RP