Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rhiemma

Default age formula

Can any one help me figure out if it is possible to have a cell reflect
an age based on a date in another cell?
For example:
cell A3 would equal the age of a person based on the person's birthdate
in cell B3 ... How do I get cell A3 to show the age?

Thanks for -any- help!!

--
Rhiemma
Rhiemma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34386

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Rhiemma" wrote in message

| Can any one help me figure out if it is possible to have a cell reflect
| an age based on a date in another cell?
| For example:
| cell A3 would equal the age of a person based on the person's birthdate
| in cell B3 ... How do I get cell A3 to show the age?
|
| Thanks for -any- help!!
|

| --
| Rhiemma
| Rhiemma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34386
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=541683

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
swatsp0p

With the birthdate in cell A1, use this formula:

=ROUNDDOWN((TODAY()-A1)/365,0)

Format your cell as General with no decimal places to return the Age in
full years.

Does this work for you?

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=541683

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

This doesn't account for leap years. For an older person you could easily be 20 days off.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"swatsp0p" wrote in message

| With the birthdate in cell A1, use this formula:
|
| =ROUNDDOWN((TODAY()-A1)/365,0)
|
| Format your cell as General with no decimal places to return the Age in
| full years.
|
| Does this work for you?
|
| Bruce
|

| --
| swatsp0p

| swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=541683

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
swatsp0p

Point taken, Nick. Change the formula to:

=ROUNDDOWN((TODAY()-A1)/365.25,0) takes care of the leap year issue.

DATEDIF requires TWO dates, OP wanted to use just ONE date. OP also
didn't indicate how detailed they wanted the response. My answer gives
YEARS only...not likely to be negatively impacted by leap years in most
people's lifetime.

If OP wants age in years, months, days...then your answer is the way to
go.

Cheers!

Bruce

--