Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fuzzyjon

Default Merging 2 cells together and prefixing

Hi there

I hope someone can please help me with a problem that I have as shown
below:-

OK, I have a telephone number which is split into two separate cells.
The first cell is the dialling code (STD code) and the second cell is
the actual number. These cells are next to each other e.g. A1 and B1.

So, A1 = e.g. 01302 and B1 = e.g. 820353

I want to merge them into 1 cell so that the STD code and number are
together separated by a space.

e.g. C1 = 01302 820353

Furthermore I then need to prefix the C1 cell with a t: e.g.

C1 = t: 01302 820353

I hope that makes sense!

Thank you for looking and I hope someone can help.

Best wishes

Jon
:)

--
fuzzyjon
fuzzyjon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34378

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

try ="t: " & A1 & " " & B1

- John
www.JohnMichl.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bondi

Hi Jon,

One way could be:

=CONCATENATE("t: ",A1," ",B1)

Regards,
Bondi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege

fuzzyjon

="t: "&A1&" "&B1

that's a space after t: and between ""

Beege

"fuzzyjon" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fuzzyjon

Hi Duke

Thanks for the quick reply....

I just have one more question.

I need to send my data to a company but with only certain columns
showing. Hiding them is not possible so I have to actually delete the
columns that are not needed.

So, after I have merged the 2 cells together as you showed me, I need
to copy the data from the merged cell to another cell so that it
doesn't show #REF when I delete the original 2 cells.

I hope I'm explaining myself OK! Here goes another way.....

Once I have merged A1+B1 into C1 as you showed me, I only need to keep
cell C1 (otherwise this will confuse the printer's software). But if I
remove cells A1 + B1, cell C1 cannot function because I have
effectively removed the data that the formula in C1 is looking at.
Therefore, do I need to somehow copy the data in C1 (rather than the
formula) to another cell so that I can remove A1 and B1 (and then C1)
without causing a problem?

Phew!

Thanks

Jon
:)

--
fuzzyjon
fuzzyjon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34378
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=541570

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

After you've concatenated all these values, select all the formulas, copy
them and WITHOUT CHANGING THE SELECTION, use Edit-Paste Special-Values.
After that you can freely delete the original columns

"fuzzyjon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fuzzyjon

Thanks so much Duke.

You don't realise how much manual work you've saved me there!!

Have a great weekend.

Jon
:)