Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
me123

Default Count occurrences of values in a column??!!

If I've got a column with lots of different values in, but they can be
repeated, eg:

Bob
Sarah
Steve
Sarah
Sarah
Bob
Jim

etc etc. Is there a way I can split them up by value and count the
number of times each value appeared, keeping in mind that the values
entered will be different all the time so I can't set a list of values
to check through, they could be anything. So say for the list above,
I'd want to get the following displayed somewhere for printing:

Bob 2
Sarah 3
Steve 1
Jim 1

Any help would be most appreciated!!

--
me123
me123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34312

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=COUNTIF(A:A,"Bob")

etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"me123" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Read Help and learn about Pivot Table then come back form more explanations
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"me123" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

More about Pivot tables:
Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
[...]

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
me123

I know how to count the values if I know what the string to look for is
going to be, but I won't know the strings in advance so I need to do
something more than this. Thanks though :)

I can see what the pivot table does, but how do I then count the
occurrences? I want to get it to appear just in cells next door to
each other on the bottom of the list if possible.

Bob Phillips Wrote:
=COUNTIF(A:A,"Bob")

etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"me123" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You could refer to the cells, if the range is A1:A10 you can put this in B1

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,A1)

and copy down

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"me123" wrote in
message ...

I know how to count the values if I know what the string to look for is
going to be, but I won't know the strings in advance so I need to do
something more than this. Thanks though :)

I can see what the pivot table does, but how do I then count the
occurrences? I want to get it to appear just in cells next door to
each other on the bottom of the list if possible.

Bob Phillips Wrote:
=COUNTIF(A:A,"Bob")

etc.

--