Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
James McDowell

Default Linked cells and Mapped Network Drives

I have a worksheet that is linked to a second sheet on a different network
drive.

Is there any way that the link can store the drive name and not my assigned
drive letter? If others have the drive mapped to a different letter the link
does not work.

Thank you,
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

Let's say you have drive //drive1/file01/file02 mapped to Y:

Just do a global change of Y: to //drive1/file01/file02.

I think that should work.

"James McDowell" wrote:

I have a worksheet that is linked to a second sheet on a different network
drive.

Is there any way that the link can store the drive name and not my assigned
drive letter? If others have the drive mapped to a different letter the link
does not work.

Thank you,
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
James McDowell

Is thi something I can do to eliminate the problem or is this an action
another user would have to take once they opened the file?

"James McDowell" wrote:

I have a worksheet that is linked to a second sheet on a different network
drive.

Is there any way that the link can store the drive name and not my assigned
drive letter? If others have the drive mapped to a different letter the link
does not work.

Thank you,
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

This is something that you can do before you send it to other users. The
drive name is probably more like \\drive1\file01\file02 (note change in
direction of slashes). I've done this before so I know it works. ... Now
that I think of it, you'll probably have to have another helper column with
the link. In the helper column use the HYPERLINK function. Let's say you
have

A1: C:\Documents and Settings
B1: = hyperlink(A1)