Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kekin Kakka

Default How to make a null cell as 0 (Zero) so that the subtraction works

Each cell in my worksheet is a function call that is requesting data from
webservice. But at times some of these cells dont have any values; and this
is not an error on the part of the webservice but it happens so as thre is no
data for that particular function call.

Now when I am using a subtraction or and addition or using any factor to
divide this number in a different cell I get a #VALUE error. I know I can use
the "IF" function to get over this error but if there is any other way around
this I would like to know. Also if there is a cell format that will change
the null cell to a Zero (0) with a different color will do (color change will
make me aware that it is something that the formating has done and the actual
cell value is not a Zero.)

I am using Excel 2003 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You would need a formula, there is no format that will convert a "" (I
assume that is what you have)
to zero, there is another function that can be used

=C3-N(A4)

where A4 is the cell with the null string

so

=N(A4)

will return zero if A4 is text or empty

also if you are multiplying you can use

=POWER(C3,A4)

equals =C3*A4

for adding you can use

=SUM(C3,A4)

equals =C3+A4

both will ignore text

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"Kekin Kakka" <Kekin wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kekin Kakka

Default How to make a null cell as 0 (Zero) so that the subtraction wo

Thanks Peo,

This was a nice fix for my problem.

Regards,
Kekin