Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
shavergeo

Default Cannot insert row

I have never experienced this before. I am trying to insert a row in a
spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is a BOM (bill of material) that was
imported from IDEAS (an AutoCad type system). It will allow me to
insert columns, but when I try to insert a row I get the following
message:"TO PREVENT POSSIBLE LOSS OF DATE MICROSOFT EXCEL CANNOT SHIFT
NON-BLANK CELLS OFF THE WORKSHEET".
I have cleared all data from my heading columns and tried to insert a
row in this area with no data get the same message. I have highlighted
the entire document and used the unhide function to make sure there is
no data hidden data. HELP!

--
shavergeo
shavergeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34051

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you'll find that if you do a Ctrl End you will end up at row
65536 - which is the physical end of any spreadsheet - although there
probably isn't data here, Excel THINKS these cells have been used,
hence the warning message. I have a macro that clears out unused cells
at the bottom and right of a workbook so can let you have that,
alternatively simply select the data you DO want and copy and paste it
to a new workbook - you can then manipulate it to your hearts content
as long as you don't get more than that magic number of rows already
mentioned!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Excel thinks you have something in a cell in a row waaaaaaay down at the bottom
of your sheet.

Select the first blank row below the last row with data.

Hit SHIFT + END + Downarrow to select to row 65536

EditDeleteEntire row.

Now.........SAVE the workbook. Close and re-open.

Try your insert row.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP