Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cs_vision

Default Conditional Formatting based on Upper case

How do I conditional format only text that is upper case?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You can't if you mean highlight parts of a string in the same cell, if
strings in cells are all upper or something else you can use

=EXACT(UPPER(A1),A1)

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"cs_vision" wrote in message
How do I conditional format only text that is upper case?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cs_vision

This is how the cell looks"
BUFFENS, Delle - or
BUFFENS, Delle R. -

I wanted to highlight the entire cell

"cs_vision" wrote in message
How do I conditional format only text that is upper case?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You need to give us more examples assuming that those 2 should be
highlighted what about an example that is not highlighted?
Is it always the first word that is upper as opposed to something like
Delle, BUFFENS ?

Peo

"cs_vision" wrote in message
How do I conditional format only text that is upper case?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cs_vision

Here an example. I only wanted the name highlighted, the hypen is okay to

LEUSER, Rudolf -
will
dec. trust
trust rest.
living will
p/atty. - prop.
p/atty. - h.c.
durable p/atty
designa. of h/c surrogate
Michigan durable p/atty
Michigan designa. of patient advocate

"cs_vision" wrote in message
How do I conditional format only text that is upper case?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Not really a good solution but it might catch most of them

=EXACT(UPPER(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)),LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1))

assuming that the format of a name is always the same with all caps last
name, comma and first name
of course if the comma is unique to the each occurrence of an all caps name
then you could use

=ISNUMBER(FIND(",",A1))

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com