Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Autumn Dreams

Default Need Help With A Formula Please

I guess I did not make myself clear in my original post. I need a formula
that If A1<=B1, A1-B1,0 and If A1=B1-A1,0. When I try this as an IF formula
it comes back FALSE. This is for a cash over/under formula. For instance
when you take in money at a restaurant, you find your cash over/under by
totaling the sales receipts minus the credit card amounts. After you remove
you starting amount of cash (cash drawer) from the total cash you have, if
the remaining cash does not equal that amount you have a cash over/short. I
need a formula that calculates this. A being the amount of cash you should
have and B being the amount you actually have. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Surely it is just

B1-A1

or if you want a message

=IF(B1-A1=0,"No problem","Problem")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Autumn Dreams" wrote in message
I guess I did not make myself clear in my original post. I need a formula
that If A1<=B1, A1-B1,0 and If A1=B1-A1,0. When I try this as an IF

formula
it comes back FALSE. This is for a cash over/under formula. For instance
when you take in money at a restaurant, you find your cash over/under by
totaling the sales receipts minus the credit card amounts. After you

remove
you starting amount of cash (cash drawer) from the total cash you have, if
the remaining cash does not equal that amount you have a cash over/short.

need a formula that calculates this. A being the amount of cash you

should
have and B being the amount you actually have. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
davesexcel

Autumn Dreams Wrote:
I guess I did not make myself clear in my original post. I need a
formula
that If A1<=B1, A1-B1,0 and If A1=B1-A1,0. When I try this as an IF
formula
it comes back FALSE.

does this work

won't you always end up with a neg number?
Besides you are asking the same thing but want different results if
A1=B1 then A1-B1 if A1=B1 then B1-A1
How can this happen??

--
davesexcel

davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537159

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Autumn Dreams

Thank you, but that only reflects one of the answers I need. If I do 2
columns with B1-A1 and the other A1-B1, I get to different answers showing at
the same time. I need just one answer or zero to indicate they are equal.
ie If B is greater than A it's a positive (overage), if B is less than A it's
a negative (shortage). Hope this explains what I need better. Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Surely it is just

B1-A1

or if you want a message

=IF(B1-A1=0,"No problem","Problem")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Autumn Dreams" wrote in message
I guess I did not make myself clear in my original post. I need a formula
that If A1<=B1, A1-B1,0 and If A1=B1-A1,0. When I try this as an IF

formula
it comes back FALSE. This is for a cash over/under formula. For instance
when you take in money at a restaurant, you find your cash over/under by
totaling the sales receipts minus the credit card amounts. After you

remove
you starting amount of cash (cash drawer) from the total cash you have, if
the remaining cash does not equal that amount you have a cash over/short.

need a formula that calculates this. A being the amount of cash you

should
have and B being the amount you actually have. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Why do it twice? Obviously 11-10 is different to 10-11, it is a different
sum so it gives a different result.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Autumn Dreams" wrote in message
Thank you, but that only reflects one of the answers I need. If I do 2
columns with B1-A1 and the other A1-B1, I get to different answers showing

at
the same time. I need just one answer or zero to indicate they are equal.
ie If B is greater than A it's a positive (overage), if B is less than A

it's
a negative (shortage). Hope this explains what I need better. Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Surely it is just

B1-A1

or if you want a message