Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dferguson

Default sumif #value

I am using a SUMIF statement to return values when locating a specific text
string from external files. The SUMIF statement works perfectly if I have
the external files open. However if I don't have the external files open,
all my SUMIF formulas change to #VALUE! Is this a limitation because I'm
searching for text? Is there a way around this error without having to open
all 24 external file links everytime I want to view this report?

Here's what my formula:

=SUMIF('G:\[File.xls]Output 1'!$A:$A,"312 Non-Exempt Labor -
Fixed",'G:\[File.xls]Output 1)'!$B:$B)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Use SMPRODUCT on closed files

=SUMPRODUCT(--('[WB Name.xls]Sheet1'!$A$3:$A$22<""),'[WB
Name.xls]Sheet1'!$D$3:$D$22)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"dferguson" wrote in message
I am using a SUMIF statement to return values when locating a specific

text
string from external files. The SUMIF statement works perfectly if I have
the external files open. However if I don't have the external files open,
all my SUMIF formulas change to #VALUE! Is this a limitation because

I'm
searching for text? Is there a way around this error without having to

open
all 24 external file links everytime I want to view this report?

Here's what my formula:

=SUMIF('G:\[File.xls]Output 1'!$A:$A,"312 Non-Exempt Labor -
Fixed",'G:\[File.xls]Output 1)'!$B:$B)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Use SUMPRODUCT instead...

=SUMPRODUCT(--('G:\[File.xls]Output 1'!$A2:$A100="312 Non-Exempt Labor -
Fixed"),'G:\[File.xls]Output 1)'!$B2:$B100)

Note that SUMPRODUCT does not allow whole column references.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
dferguson wrote:

I am using a SUMIF statement to return values when locating a specific text
string from external files. The SUMIF statement works perfectly if I have
the external files open. However if I don't have the external files open,
all my SUMIF formulas change to #VALUE! Is this a limitation because I'm
searching for text? Is there a way around this error without having to open
all 24 external file links everytime I want to view this report?

Here's what my formula:

=SUMIF('G:\[File.xls]Output 1'!$A:$A,"312 Non-Exempt Labor -
Fixed",'G:\[File.xls]Output 1)'!$B:$B)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dferguson

dferguson wrote:

I am using a SUMIF statement to return values when locating a specific text
string from external files. The SUMIF statement works perfectly if I have
the external files open. However if I don't have the external files open,
all my SUMIF formulas change to #VALUE! Is this a limitation because I'm
searching for text? Is there a way around this error without having to open
all 24 external file links everytime I want to view this report?

Here's what my formula:

=SUMIF('G:\[File.xls]Output 1'!$A:$A,"312 Non-Exempt Labor -
Fixed",'G:\[File.xls]Output 1)'!$B:$B)

How to use SUMIF to return sums between two values located in cells ScottBerger Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 23rd 23 09:05 PM
Sumif of Sumif perhaps? Fred Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 March 29th 06 05:39 PM
SUMIF Ferg Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 28th 06 03:37 AM
Embedding a Sumif in a sumif C.Pflugrath Excel Worksheet Functions 5 August 31st 05 07:31 PM
SUMIF - Range name to used for the "sum_range" portion of a SUMIF function Oscar Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 11th 05 11:01 PM