Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Danny

Default Average

I have a column of numbers for which i need to average every 12 rows(i.e
average rows 1-12, 13-24, 25-36, etc). It is two years worth of data (730
days) with 12 entries per day. I need the average daily readings for each
day.

Is there a simple and efficient method to copy and paste the same formula
for all 730 days. I know I can use the average function for each range, but
that is a lot of typing!

Thanks in advance!

Danny
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

Danny wrote...
I have a column of numbers for which i need to average every 12 rows(i.e
average rows 1-12, 13-24, 25-36, etc). It is two years worth of data (730
days) with 12 entries per day. I need the average daily readings for each
day.

Is there a simple and efficient method to copy and paste the same formula
for all 730 days. I know I can use the average function for each range, but
that is a lot of typing!

Check the responses to your previous, nearly identical posting before
you respond or (Gawd Ferbid!) start another thread.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

One way:

Assume data is in column A, A1:An.

Enter this formula in B1:

=AVERAGE(OFFSET(A$1,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*12,,12))

Copy down as needed.

The results will be like this:

B1 = AVERAGE(A1:A12)
B2 = AVERAGE(A13:A24)
B3 = AVERAGE(A25:A36)
B4 = AVERAGE(A37:A48)
etc

Biff

"Danny" wrote in message
I have a column of numbers for which i need to average every 12 rows(i.e
average rows 1-12, 13-24, 25-36, etc). It is two years worth of data (730
days) with 12 entries per day. I need the average daily readings for each
day.

Is there a simple and efficient method to copy and paste the same formula
for all 730 days. I know I can use the average function for each range,
but
that is a lot of typing!

Thanks in advance!

Danny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Danny

Yes, sorry about the multiple positng. I was travelling and in the middle of
a major thunder storm. Right when I hit the send button we lost power.
After checking & recehcing, I could nto find my original post, so i had to
recreate.

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

Danny wrote...
I have a column of numbers for which i need to average every 12 rows(i.e
average rows 1-12, 13-24, 25-36, etc). It is two years worth of data (730
days) with 12 entries per day. I need the average daily readings for each
day.

Is there a simple and efficient method to copy and paste the same formula
for all 730 days. I know I can use the average function for each range, but
that is a lot of typing!

Check the responses to your previous, nearly identical posting before
you respond or (Gawd Ferbid!) start another thread.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Danny

Biff,

Thanks! It solved my problem and I am on my way!