Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bxc2739

Default Need help find automate way to cross reference two GAINT excel databases!!

Need help find automate way to cross reference two GAINT excel
databases!!

Hi,

I am trying to match/cross reference (check by ZIP CODE) two extremely
large databases/spreadsheets in MS EXCEL. The vast majority of matches
will turn up negative (no match) and only like <5% of all the
rows/fields in my 31000+ excel sheet will actually match by zip to the
records contained in another sheet (actually this second sheet is a
large Seibel Sales database that I exported to Excel for easier
access/manipulation) So it would be very tedious and a time waster to
manually match the records by hand. My question would be, is there an
automated way in Excel (or using any number of Excel addons such as
ASAP Utilities etc) that would let the computer do the work for me??

Basically I have two large records, one that I exported from Siebel
online to Excel, and the second one is the original work Excel database
that I am to work on (ie find matches by zip code and mark them as
matched)

Is there a quick way to do this? The power of the computer should
really be put to use, but I just don't know /cant figure out how to go
about this.

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!

BTW here is the screenshots and explainations if you don't know what I
am talking about:
http://www.freewebs.com/bxc2739/

Just to clarify (I'm not sure I explained it very good)

Imagine two sheets

Sheet #1 <-(Seibel converted to xls) Sheet #2 (xls sheet to be worked
on)

The problem is Sheet #2 is not only five rows, it is like 30000+ rows,
and I
will have to do another 30000+ rows soon, so 60000+ to do by hand is
very slow indeed.

Also, 95% of all the rows in Sheet #2 will be a NO MATCH with no
matching zip codes to ANY of the zip codes of Sheet #1. So less than 5%
will actually be a match, but the thing is I have to check ALL of them
to actually know which ones match and which don't.

IS there a utility / macro or function in Excel that can quickly let me
do this the automated way?

Thanks

-Bo

--
bxc2739
bxc2739's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32538

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:30:14 -0500, bxc2739
wrote:

[...]

Have you tried a standard VLOOKUP?

Assuming the Zip Codes on sheet 1 are in say A1:A1000
and in A1:A30000 on sheet 2

on sheet 2 in a spare column enter

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:A1000,1,false))," No Match","Match)

and copy down.

HTH

__
Richard Buttrey