Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cgs

Default how do I paste without EXCEL increasing the cell number ?

How do I cut and paste formulas and resultents with out EXCEL increasing the
cell number ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

I seems like you need to set parts of your references to be Absolute, instead
of Relative.

In a formula, a dollar sign ($) locks in that part of the reference.

Examples:
A1: =$C3

When copied and pasted elsewhere in the worksheet, that formula will ALWAYS
reference Col_C, but the referenced row will change.

A1: =$C$3
will always reference cell C3 no matter where it is pasted.

For more information, search Excel help for "range references" and read the
section on:
"The difference between relative and absolute references"

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"cgs" wrote:

How do I cut and paste formulas and resultents with out EXCEL increasing the
cell number ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

use absolutes
$a$1

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"cgs" wrote in message
How do I cut and paste formulas and resultents with out EXCEL increasing
the
cell number ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Use absolute cell references as in

$A$1

or

A$1

if it is just the number you want to prevent increasing

as opposed to A1

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"cgs" wrote in message
How do I cut and paste formulas and resultents with out EXCEL increasing
the
cell number ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"cgs" wrote:
How do I cut and paste formulas and resultents with
out EXCEL increasing the cell number ?

Although changing relative references to absolute references
might be the best solution for you, there are times when
you might want to do exactly as you stated, retaining the
relative references for some other purpose, e.g. so that they
are indeed modified appropriately when you subsequently
copy-and-paste.

Since you say __cut__ and paste, not copy, a cell move
might meet your needs. Highlight the cells to "cut", then
move the cursor to the highlight border so that you see a
four-way-arrow cursor, then drag the cells to where you
want them. Excel modifies relative references to cells
within the moved cell block, but other relative references
are unmodified.

In cases where I actually want to __copy__ and paste, I
have resorted to a text copy-and-paste. This is unpleasant
because it must be done one cell at a time. Highlight one
cell and copy the text of the formula in the "fx" field.
Press Esc to deselect the cell, then highlight the new
location, then do paste.