Gregg

Default maxif

looking for a formula similar to 'sumif', however i need a 'maxif' that
compares a range and if true then selects the largest date in another range.
I'm using excel 2003. For example (see below) =maxif(a1:a4=280, b1:b4). I'm
looking to get 280 & 01-20-05 as the answer. I'm using maxif as if it is
real...but it isn't. help! thanks

A B
1 001 01-01-05
2 280 12-31-04
3 500 11-01-04
4 280 01-20-05
Peo Sjoblom

One way

=MAX((A1:A4=280)*(B1:B4))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Gregg" wrote:

looking for a formula similar to 'sumif', however i need a 'maxif' that
compares a range and if true then selects the largest date in another range.
I'm using excel 2003. For example (see below) =maxif(a1:a4=280, b1:b4). I'm
looking to get 280 & 01-20-05 as the answer. I'm using maxif as if it is
real...but it isn't. help! thanks

A B
1 001 01-01-05
2 280 12-31-04
3 500 11-01-04
4 280 01-20-05

RagDyer

Ha Ha <vbg
BUT ... was an honest question.

Do you know if the array SumProduct is less taxing on XL then a formula
entered with CSE?