Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
whub3

Default test a range of cells and return an adjacent value

I am trying to do a simple lookup in one range of cells that contain numbers
1-9 and return a result from the cell that is next to it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Assume your lookup value is in A1.

Your 2 column table is in the range A10:B18.

A1 = 7

=IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,A10:B18,2,0))

Biff

"whub3" wrote in message
I am trying to do a simple lookup in one range of cells that contain
numbers
1-9 and return a result from the cell that is next to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
whub3

OK. That gave me the value I was searching for, but I want to return the an
adjacent value.
I have two columns, one with text and one with numerals. In a different cell
in the same worksheet I want to search the numerical column for a particular
number (like 1) and return the name (like Dave) that is adjacent (just to the
left) of the cell with the number from the number column.

Thanks!

"whub3" wrote in message
I am trying to do a simple lookup in one range of cells that contain
numbers
1-9 and return a result from the cell that is next to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

If you need to return something to the left of your lookup range, then you
will need to use something like index/match instead of vlookup. Try this one:

=IF(A1 = "", "", INDEX($A$10:$A$18, MATCH(A1,$B$10:$B$18,0)))

--
Kevin Vaughn

"whub3" wrote in message
I am trying to do a simple lookup in one range of cells that contain
numbers
1-9 and return a result from the cell that is next to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
whub3

Kevin,

Thank you. That answered my question