Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Corben

Default lloking for an easier way to count

We use paging software to page people to fix problems.
The data from the paging software can be output to a spreadsheet showing a
row for every page that is sent. I would like to setup a spreadsheet to show
how many times a person is paged each day, on a monthly basis.

So it would look like something like this..

Mike John Dave
Day 1 5 1 3
Day 2 2 2 6
Day 3 3 0 2

Day 31 1 2 1
Total 11 5 12

Right now I copy the output data below the above grid and then count for
each person. So. for example Under Mike - Day 1 = COUNTIF(B50:B400,"Mike"),
Day 2 = COUNTIF(C50:C400,"Mike"), and so on...

So far it works fine like this. But there are over 200 people on the list
that we send pages to and that list often changes, so the spreadsheet would
need to be modified often.

Is there an easier way to do this? I have tried pivot table, but cant seem
to get that to work at all.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kassie

Instead of hard coding the name, why not just refer to the heading cell for
the person? Iow, if you have your names in Row A1:GA1, write your first
formula as = COUNTIF($C$50:$C$400,A1). Copy across and you have all your
totals. If you now want to change a dealer's name, you merely change the
name in the heading cell.

"Corben" wrote:

We use paging software to page people to fix problems.
The data from the paging software can be output to a spreadsheet showing a
row for every page that is sent. I would like to setup a spreadsheet to show
how many times a person is paged each day, on a monthly basis.

So it would look like something like this..

Mike John Dave
Day 1 5 1 3
Day 2 2 2 6
Day 3 3 0 2

Day 31 1 2 1
Total 11 5 12

Right now I copy the output data below the above grid and then count for
each person. So. for example Under Mike - Day 1 = COUNTIF(C50:C400,"Mike"), and so on...

So far it works fine like this. But there are over 200 people on the list
that we send pages to and that list often changes, so the spreadsheet would
need to be modified often.

Is there an easier way to do this? I have tried pivot table, but cant seem
to get that to work at all.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Corben

Thanks, that should save a lot of work.

I might even be able to get a file with the output of all the recipients of
the pages, which I could maybe then input into the first row, so that when
the list of people changes, all I would need to do is input the list again
and it would populate the frst row for me.