Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jg53

Default need macro to check part# and sum

I'm not a programming or excel expert but desperately need help with a
problem. I have a huge spreadsheet that has part numbers and quantity.
I need to find the same part number and sum the quantity of that part
number. Can this easily be solved?

--
jg53
jg53's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9550

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=SUMIF(A:A,"part number",B:B)

where A is the part number, B is the quantity

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"jg53" wrote in message

I'm not a programming or excel expert but desperately need help with a
problem. I have a huge spreadsheet that has part numbers and quantity.
I need to find the same part number and sum the quantity of that part
number. Can this easily be solved?

--
jg53
jg53's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532585

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

How is your sheet laid out? Are all the part #s in one column and quantities
all in another? Let's say part#s are in col A and quantities in col B

=sumproduct(--(A1:A5000="abc-123"),B1:B1000)

Also, you can create a pivot table off your data & that will give you a
list of all your unique part #s and sum the quatities for each (DataPivot
table)

"jg53" wrote:

I'm not a programming or excel expert but desperately need help with a
problem. I have a huge spreadsheet that has part numbers and quantity.
I need to find the same part number and sum the quantity of that part
number. Can this easily be solved?

--
jg53
jg53's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9550
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532585

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ardus Petus

I dare say this solution won't work because the arrays in SUMPRODUCT must
have the same size.
Correct example is:
=sumproduct(--(A1:A5000="abc-123"),B1:B5000)

HTH
--
AP

de ...

"jg53" wrote:

I'm not a programming or excel expert but desperately need help with a
problem. I have a huge spreadsheet that has part numbers and quantity.
I need to find the same part number and sum the quantity of that part
number. Can this easily be solved?

--
jg53
jg53's Profile:

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jg53

Col A Part #
Col B Qty
Col C this is where we want the sum of the part # to show up

--
jg53
jg53's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9550
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532585

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jg53

Bob, I copied and pasted your formula into the spreadsheet but when I
drag it down I get nothing but 0's. Am I missing something. Do the
fields have to be formatted as numbers or is general okay?

--
jg53
jg53's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9550
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532585

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

You need to reference the correct part number, like so

=SUMIF(A:A,A1,B:B)

By dragging it down in this way means that many of the sums will be repeated
in column C. May be better to build a list of part numbers in say M1:M100,
and use

=SUMIF(A:A,M1,B:B)

in C1, and drag that down.

--