Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ellymoo

Default Linking sheets into one major sheet?

I have a large workbook, split into sheets, with very complex formulas in it.
I want one sheet at the end of this workbook to reflect all the data from the
other sheets, if you know what I mean - so it is ALL the data from the
different sheets, in one "all info" sheet. I also want it to update
automatically so I don't have to re-enter lots of data when updating the
separate sheets. Is there any way of doing this? I have looked at some of the
answers on here but I got very lost. Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John James

Hi Ellymoo,

Seems a bit back the front to me.

You don't link data from multiple sheets into one datasheet. That's a
waste of time. You initially collect all of your data into one
datasheet or multiple datasheets and then analyse & report from that
source.

All data which shares common fields is collected into one datasheet,
with headings for each column (field). That is one table. You may
have multiple tables in which case you may want multiple datasheets.

When you have all of your data in structured datasheets like this,
reporting is greatly simplified. Excel has a multitude of tools for
analysing and reporting data when the data is stored in this datasheet
format.

I suspect a lot of your complex formulae may disappear with sound
structuring and reporting methods.

You should never - never - have to re-enter data on separate sheets.
That is bad practice.

So the short answer is to initially collect your data in the datasheet
rather than trying to link or move it there later.

--
John James
John James's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32690

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ellymoo

Thanks very much for your reply.

I work for a company with various bases. This workbook is their training
record, so they hop on and look at the sheet showing their base only, and
none of the others, hence it is separate. However, assuming that the best
way to go about it is work from the main sheet and allow the separate sheets
to update automatically when I enter data into the main sheet, how could I
'rejig' the whole workbook? Are there formulae I should use?

"John James" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ellymoo

Thank you for that advice, I will look into it :)

"Duke Carey" wrote:

You may want to look into pivot tables. When structured properly you can use
the 'base' as a page field (essentially a filter) so that the users can
choose their base from a list and the pivot table updates automatically.

See Debra Dallgliesh's site for pivot table guidance

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

"John James" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John James

Hi Ellymoo,

I fully support Duke's suggestion. This is a great way to go - and
involves essentially no maintenance apart from refreshing the
pivottable when the source data changes (one mouse click). There are
other methods but this is the simplest.

Cheers,

Ellymoo Wrote:[color=blue]

"Duke Carey" wrote:

You may want to look into pivot tables. When structured properly you

can use
the 'base' as a page field (essentially a filter) so that the users

can
choose their base from a list and the pivot table updates

automatically.

See Debra Dallgliesh's site for pivot table guidance

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
John James
John James's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32690
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532195

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ellymoo

can this be done in Excel with data currently inputted? I had a look at the
website and was no much the wiser. :(
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John James

Absolutely. Here's an introduction to pivottables. They take a bit of
getting used to but it's well worth the effort!