Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Glynn Furr

Default Totaling the number of comma delimited numbers in a column

I have a column which has a variable number of comma delimited values in the
range of 11 to 56 in each cell. Is there a method or macro to count the
occurrences of each number in the column and either output the results to a
file or another worksheet?

Example:
23,40,52,31,
42,14,
56,
27,43,19,
etc.

What I am doing now is coping the column to Word, closing the margins to 3
characters, coping that result to an clean worksheet, sorting the new column
ascending and printing the results and counting the occurrences manually.
This is getting tedious as the column grows in length.

Can anyone help me or point me to a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Glynn ..

OT: isn't there a program to sort a comma delimited ASCII numeric file?
Seems like I remember one from the DOS days.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

You could use Data Text to columns with comma as a delimiter to split
each number into a separate cell then use countif formulas to count
each value,

e.g.

=COUNTIF(range,11) etc.

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Two steps:

1. Use the Text to Columns feature to separate the data into separate cells
pull-down Data Text to Columns... and use the comma as the separator.

2. After each value is in its own cell, select the entire block and use
COUNTIF() to count the occurance of each unique item.
--
Gary's Student

"Glynn Furr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Assume the numbers are in the range A1:A10.

In C1 enter 11.

In D1 enter this formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A$1:A$10)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A$1:A$10,C1,"")))/2

Select both C1 and D1 and drag copy down to row 46.

Biff