acpharmd

Default Link the value to text in a cell, then use that text cell in a for

I need to link the text in a cell to a value, then use the original cell in a
formula. Can anyone help?
Dave R.

Go ahead -- merely referencing a cell in a formula won't affect the contents
of the referenced cell itself. If the referenced cell references the cell
you'll be referencing it in, you'll get a notice about a circular reference.

"acpharmd" wrote in message
I need to link the text in a cell to a value, then use the original cell

in a
formula. Can anyone help?

acpharmd

I am still at a loss. I entered text into a cell, then, under the "insert"
menu, I selected name, define, and entered the value "= 4685". Later in the
same sheet, I tried to add the value of this cell to another in a formula.
It didn't work. Maybe someone can help with this more specific question.
Thanks in advance.

"acpharmd" wrote in message
I need to link the text in a cell to a value, then use the original cell

in a
formula. Can anyone help?

Dave Peterson

You actually defined a name for that value (4685). Did you mean to do that or
did you mean to define a name for the cell that held that value?

insert|name|define
names in workbook: MyCell
Refers to: =Sheet1!$A$1

Then I could plop anything I wanted in A1 of sheet1 and refer to it by its name:

=mycell*3
(for example)

If I changed the contents of that "myCell", then all the formulas that depend on
that name will reevaluate.

--

Dave Peterson
acpharmd

This info is good, but still not answering my question. Sorry to be so
difficult. Here is another stab at rephrasing my question:
I have a source sheet and an "all data" sheet. The source sheet has
definitions of cell values, etc. The "all data" sheet has what I want my
colleagues/students to be able to see when entering data into the spreadsheet.

Specifically: I want my students to pick, from a list, the most appropriate
description for an intervention. Then I want to use that cell to help
calculate the value of that intervention. My problem is assigning a value to
a cell while still being able to select the description from a list of items.

Please give me one more chance. I need this solved pretty soon.

Thanks.

"acpharmd" wrote in message
I need to link the text in a cell to a value, then use the original cell
in a
formula. Can anyone help?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I'd build a table on another worksheet.
Column A would hold the description
column B would hold the value associated with that description

Then I'd use data|validation in one cell and a formula in a helper cell
(adjacent??) to return the value:
=vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's instructions:
and

How about that???