Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don

Default How Can I Do This?

In sheet1, A1 value = 10, B1 value = 5 (both vary, sum of numbers on another
sheet)

I would like to have another cell (we'll call it Difference) that determines
which is greater (A1 or B1) and if A1 is greater, then color this result in
red and calculate A1-B1. However, if B1 is greater, keep the default color
and calculate B1-A1.

Is this possible with function(s)?

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Don, in two steps, for the color change, format conditional formatting,
formula is =$A$1$B$1, pick the format you want, for the calculation part
=IF(A1B1,A1-B1,B1-A1)

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Don" wrote in message
In sheet1, A1 value = 10, B1 value = 5 (both vary, sum of numbers on

another
sheet)

I would like to have another cell (we'll call it Difference) that

determines
which is greater (A1 or B1) and if A1 is greater, then color this result

in
red and calculate A1-B1. However, if B1 is greater, keep the default color
and calculate B1-A1.

Is this possible with function(s)?

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don

Paul,

Yes, I understand and know about the calculation......but, what I don't know
is if the A1 B1, how can I tie changing the value color (not the cell
background) to a different color, in this case red, within the SAME cell
function? And, what is that function?

Thanks,
Don

"Don" wrote in message
In sheet1, A1 value = 10, B1 value = 5 (both vary, sum of numbers on

another
sheet)

I would like to have another cell (we'll call it Difference) that

determines
which is greater (A1 or B1) and if A1 is greater, then color this result

in
red and calculate A1-B1. However, if B1 is greater, keep the default
color
and calculate B1-A1.

Is this possible with function(s)?

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Don, a function can not change the font color but you can use conditional
formatting to change that cell, select the "value cell" and click on format,
conditional formatting, change cell valve is to formula is and put in
=$A$1$B$1, click on format, font, color, pick red, OK, OK now when A1B1
your "value cell" will change to red font.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Don" wrote in message
In sheet1, A1 value = 10, B1 value = 5 (both vary, sum of numbers on

another
sheet)

I would like to have another cell (we'll call it Difference) that

determines
which is greater (A1 or B1) and if A1 is greater, then color this

result
in
red and calculate A1-B1. However, if B1 is greater, keep the default
color
and calculate B1-A1.

Is this possible with function(s)?

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don

That's what I needed....had forgotten this little feature....thanks so much
Paul.

Don

"Paul B" wrote in message
Don, in two steps, for the color change, format conditional formatting,
formula is =$A$1$B$1, pick the format you want, for the calculation

part
=IF(A1B1,A1-B1,B1-A1)

--
Paul B
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from
it
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Don" wrote in message
In sheet1, A1 value = 10, B1 value = 5 (both vary, sum of numbers on
another
sheet)

I would like to have another cell (we'll call it Difference) that
determines
which is greater (A1 or B1) and if A1 is greater, then color this

result
in
red and calculate A1-B1. However, if B1 is greater, keep the default
color
and calculate B1-A1.

Is this possible with function(s)?

Don