Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Picken

Default How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 dates

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

One way:

A1: <start date
A2: <end date
A3: =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym") & "
months"

See

http://cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

for more documentation on DATEDIF().

In article ,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ardus Petus

=DATEDIF(date1, date2,"y") for years
=DATEDIF(date1, date2, "ym") for extra months

HTH
--
AP

"David Picken" <David a écrit dans le
message de ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brandon

Default How do I find the length of time (Years & Months) between 2 da

I have a spreadsheet with a date inducted and a date it needs to be replaced.
How do I get a cell with the remaining days between the dates and it update
daily?

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

=DATEDIF(date1, date2,"y") for years
=DATEDIF(date1, date2, "ym") for extra months

HTH
--
AP

"David Picken" <David a écrit dans le
message de ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

One way:

A1: <date inducted
A2: <date to be replaced
A3: =A2-A1

format A3 as General or Number.

No idea how to update it daily unless you specify how either of the
dates change.

In article ,
Brandon wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a date inducted and a date it needs to be replaced.
How do I get a cell with the remaining days between the dates and it update
daily?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

=DATEDIF(date1, date2,"y") for years
=DATEDIF(date1, date2, "ym") for extra months

HTH
--
AP

"David Picken" <David a

écrit dans le
message de

In general to get the difference in days between two dates you only
need

=B1-A1 where B1 is the later date

format as general

In your case it looks like you need the difference in days between
today and your replacement date - if replacement date in in C1

=C1-today()

format as general

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege

David,

Or you could use =TEXT(A2-A1,"Y, M")

Beege

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brandon

That worked but I worded the problem wrong.
I have a part inducted on 1-1-06 that has a life span of 1825 days. How can
I create a formula that will give me the days remaining in a column and have
that number updated daily? I'm using Excel 2003.

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

=DATEDIF(date1, date2,"y") for years
=DATEDIF(date1, date2, "ym") for extra months

HTH
--
AP

"David Picken" <David a écrit dans le
message de ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

=1825+DATE(2006,1,1)-TODAY()

format as general

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brandon

1745

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

=1825+DATE(2006,1,1)-TODAY()

format as general

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brandon

It returned 1745

"Brandon" wrote:

1745

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

=1825+DATE(2006,1,1)-TODAY()

format as general

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

Is that not correct? You wanted the days remaining. If it shows 1745
today it will show 1744 tomorrow and so on until it reaches zero on
31st December 2010.

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brandon

Well of course had I closed the application and reopened it and used my
brain. Thank you so much for all the help. It seems to work like a charm.
I will try it on the main sheet and see what happens. This has been very
helpful.

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

Is that not correct? You wanted the days remaining. If it shows 1745
today it will show 1744 tomorrow and so on until it reaches zero on
31st December 2010.

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brandon

Does the 360 days a year affect the calculations? I saw where Excel uses 360
days in the year instead of 365.

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

Is that not correct? You wanted the days remaining. If it shows 1745
today it will show 1744 tomorrow and so on until it reaches zero on
31st December 2010.

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

Using the formula I posted the calculation will be correct. There is a
DAYS360 function in Excel which uses a 360 day year for accounting
purposes but, other than that Excel will calculate using 365 day or 366
day years as appropriate