Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greenebush

Default subtotal nesting errors new this month

Just this month I have encountered errors in excel when I run a subtotal on a
group of data and then run subtotals on subgroups within the data. This just
happened this month on a report I have generated for two years. I have to
get subtotal revenue for departments within a company and then subtotal for
divisions within departments of the company on the same spreadsheet. I first
run the subtotal on the departments and then run subtotals on divisions
without replacing the subtotals. On some but not all, the subtotal for a
division within a department is posting below the line for the subtotal for
the division. It's illogical. My data and methods have not changed. Has
anybody encountered this problem. I have run automatic updates from Windows
but nothing else.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Maybe...

Multilevel subtotals are in the wrong position in Excel 2002 and in Excel 2003

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greenebush

You've described my situation exactly, except I have my subtotals appear
below the work. It's putting in grand totals halfway through the
spreadsheet of data. Then it ran a grand total on empty lines. I've checked
my computer for viruses with Microsoft and none were discovered. Yesterday,
I put in an automatic update that required me to change my sign-on. I wonder
if that did it. I'm going to try to "unistall" the update and see if my
problem goes away. Why would this have suddenly changed from last month to
this month; I haven't done anything to my Excel program. I've just updated

Greenebush wrote:

Just this month I have encountered errors in excel when I run a subtotal on a
group of data and then run subtotals on subgroups within the data. This just
happened this month on a report I have generated for two years. I have to
get subtotal revenue for departments within a company and then subtotal for
divisions within departments of the company on the same spreadsheet. I first
run the subtotal on the departments and then run subtotals on divisions
without replacing the subtotals. On some but not all, the subtotal for a
division within a department is posting below the line for the subtotal for
the division. It's illogical. My data and methods have not changed. Has
anybody encountered this problem. I have run automatic updates from Windows
but nothing else.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Maybe something bad happened to that key in the registry.

Did you try that registry tweak (explained in the KB article)?

Greenebush wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greenebush

I'm an accountant and a heavy user of Excel and Access but not computer savy;
I've called the University's computer services to come over and update the
registry. I checked my update from yesterday and there were two Excel
updates included in the automatic update. I'm reading them now, one is for
spell checker and should have an effect. I might uninstall just those two
updates and see what happens.