Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DB Explorer

Default Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

Hi

This might be a very simple question to most of you, but I am a novice
user.

If A1 has date in the format 04-Jan-06, then how do I have B1 display
only the first two characters "04" in number format, which means 4?

Cheers
Sunny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DB Explorer

Thanks Andy,

This works, and displays 04, but I am unable to use this for
mathematical functions, it needs to be a number format

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

THis is a bit cumbersome, but it works:
=VALUE(TEXT(A1,"dd"))

Andy.

"DB Explorer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Andy,

This works, and displays 04, but I am unable to use this for
mathematical functions, it needs to be a number format

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DB Explorer

Thanks Andy, this works perfectly, fine.

Sunny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Sunny

Or you could simplify it to just =DAY(A1)

--
Regards

Roger Govier