Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RICKY

Default VLOOKUP(lookup_value, ___ ,col_index_num,range_lookup)

I built 2 named range for search, for example,
"ABC" = A1: D4
"DEF" = A10: F10:

and let's say, if Z1 = 1 then A100 = "ABC" and
if Z1 = 2 then A100 = "DEF"

how can have VLOOKUP to look for range ABC or range DEF based on contains in
A100?

Ricky
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Hi Ricky,

Look in HELP for the INDIRECT() function

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"RICKY" wrote in message ...
I built 2 named range for search, for example,
"ABC" = A1: D4
"DEF" = A10: F10:

and let's say, if Z1 = 1 then A100 = "ABC" and
if Z1 = 2 then A100 = "DEF"

how can have VLOOKUP to look for range ABC or range DEF based on contains in
A100?

Ricky

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,CHOOSE(Z1,ABC,DEF),column_in dex_num,0)

Since your ranges have different widths how do you intend to determine what
the column_index_number is? Or, is it constant?

Biff

"RICKY" wrote in message
I built 2 named range for search, for example,
"ABC" = A1: D4
"DEF" = A10: F10:

and let's say, if Z1 = 1 then A100 = "ABC" and
if Z1 = 2 then A100 = "DEF"

how can have VLOOKUP to look for range ABC or range DEF based on contains
in
A100?

Ricky

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Just to clarify......

and let's say, if Z1 = 1 then A100 = "ABC" and
if Z1 = 2 then A100 = "DEF"

If you use the formula I suggested you don't need to reference A100 in the
lookup.

Biff