Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
efenili

Default Sort Groups of Cells

Hello. For about 1 hour I have been trying to figure this out but I
can't for the life of me see how I can do this.

I have created a database spreadsheet that has data for companies
including contact information and agreement options with checkboxes,
drop-down menus and the likes.

Each group of information is 6 rows x 8 columns.
Is there anyway to sort these groups of information by the company name
which is in A1 and then A7 and then A13 etc. etc.

Please let me know if there is anyway possible to do this.
Thank you very much!!

--
efenili
efenili's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32053

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

For my solution to work you will need a blank row before your data
starts - highlight row 1 and Insert | Rows.

Assuming column I is the next available column, enter this in cell i2:

=IF(MOD(ROW()+4,6)=0,A2&TEXT(MOD(ROW()+4,6),"0"),
LEFT(i1,LEN(i1)-1)&TEXT(MOD(ROW()+4,6),"0"))

This can be copied down to the bottom of your database. It will pick up
the name and add 0, 1, 2, 3 etc at the end for each block of 6 rows.
You can then fix the values in this column by highlighting the complete
column, click <copy then Edit | Paste Special | Values (check), OK
then <Esc.

You should now select all cells from columns A to I which contain the
database, and sort these nine columns using column I as the sort field.

You can delete column I when you have sorted your data.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
efenili

WOW!

It didn't work perfectly just because of formating that I had left out
in my description including a break row between each set of data and so
on and so forth but after a little messin around I got it!!

You rock!

--
efenili
efenili's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32053
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=518033

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Thanks for feeding back, Efenili - I'm glad you managed to get it to
work.

Pete