fantasma

Default How can I merge 2 cells with numbers and letters?

I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3 columns) ... and now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow instructions for this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/ XP.
Dave Peterson

=a1&b1
or
=a1&" "&b1
or
=a1&" "&text(b1,"00000")
or
=a1&" Has a balance due of: " & text(b1,"$#,##0.00")

A1 holds the text and B1 holds the number

--

Dave Peterson
Norman Jones

Hi Fantasma,

Assume the numerals are in Col B and the alphas are in Col C

=B1 & C1 (Concatenate without a space)

or

=B1 & " " & C1 (Concatenate with a space)

---
Regards,
Norman

"fantasma" wrote in message
I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3 columns) ... and
now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow instructions for
this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/ XP.

fantasma

Thanks for the feed back. Unforunately, I've not been able to get either of
the techniques to work. (I tried the same when it was outlined MS Help
area.) Do I need to "activate" something or some how enable the
"concatenate" function? Assuming I have 4 numbers in A1 and 4 letters in B1
.... I'm typing " =a1&b1 " (without quotation marks) in cell C1 .... and all
I get is "=a1&b1" (again, w/o quotation marks).

Any other suggestions? Perhaps I have something 'over-riding' the function
that needs to be changes?

Any comments will be appreciated.

"fantasma" wrote in message
I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3 columns) ... and
now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow instructions for
this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/ XP.

Norman Jones

Hi Fantasma,

I suspect that cell C1 is formatted as text.

Try formatting C1 as general and re-enter the formula.

---
Regards,
Norman

"fantasma" wrote in message
I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3 columns) ...
and
now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow instructions
for
this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/ XP.

Dave Peterson

Make sure you don't use leading spaces in your formula:

" =a1&b1 " without the quotes should be:
"=a1&b1" without the quotes

"fantasma" wrote in message
I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3 columns) ... and
now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow instructions for
this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/ XP.

--

Dave Peterson

Norman Jones

Hi Fantasma,

What happens if you enter data in cells A1 and B1 in a another (blamk)
worksheet and then retry the formula?

---
Regards,
Norman

"fantasma" wrote in message
I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3 columns) ...
and
now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow instructions
for
this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/ XP.

Dave Peterson

Are you viewing formulas?

Tools|options|View Tab
Uncheck Formulas if it's checked.

"fantasma" wrote in message
I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3 columns) ... and
now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow instructions for
this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/ XP.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

fantasma

HEY! That did it! Thanks! Question: Do you think I must have erroneously
checked this at some point in time? This computer/Excel program is only a
few months old ...... but I've done calculations with it previously. (Maybe
I erroneously turned it on when trying to get this working??) Any comments
as to how this went wrong??

Thanks for your help.