Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Satriani

Default How do I could solve a equation

I have this equation :
(1/Do^4)*(T4+T2/Do)=T1-T3
T1, T2, T3 and T4 are known.
I need to find Do.

How may I solve this using EXEL ?
Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MrShorty

It doesn't look like this equation has an analytic solution, so it will
probably have to be solved numerically. Standard approach:

1) Arrange equation so it is in the form f(x)=0. One way in this case
(1/Do^4)*(T4+T2/Do)-T1+T3=0
2) Choose a value for Do that appears to be near the solution.
3) Numerically solve the equation. The Solver add-in is a utility in
Excel that can do this. If you need help using Solver, let us know.
4) Double check to make sure the solution found by Solver is
reasonable.

In some cases, there can be more than one solution. Choice of initial
guess will determine which solution is found. In cases where multiple
solutions are possible, it will be up to you to determine which is
meaningful.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Satriani

Thank you MrShorty,

Yesterday I tried to solved using Do = f(Do). I deactivated the automatic
calculation and used F9 to do it manualy (~ Gauss Seidel approach).
So, as you said, it could be solved numerically ....

Thank you very much for spending you time and help me. I really appreciated
it.

Best Rgds,
Satriani