Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
killertofu

Default Missing Zeros & Concactenate Failure

I am trying to make an auto-name generator for the computers at work and
I am trying to make it so that all I have to do is enter certain
information and it spits out a name. This will make my life a
hellaeasier.

Here's my cells...
A B C
1 NAME EMP. # COMPUTER
2 JOHN 01 DELL

Here's my two problems...
First of all, I try to use the concactenate function to bring the whole
thing together (JOHN01DELL) but it gives me a #NAME? error for JOHN and
DELL.

Secondly, I switched it to simple & combo function and when it combines
the three cells, it takes out the 0 in front of the 1, thus giving me
JOHN1DELL.

I would like excel to give me JOHN01DELL as an output, no matter what
function I use, so any help is welcome.

Thanks a lot peeps.

--
killertofu
killertofu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31024

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
killertofu

Thanks a bunch for the help.

How come CONCACTENATE wouldnt work for this?

--
killertofu
killertofu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31024
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=512406

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

It would--but you still need the =Text() function:

=A2&TEXT(B2,"00")&C2
becomes
=concatenate(A2,TEXT(B2,"00"),C2)

killertofu wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the help.

How come CONCACTENATE wouldnt work for this?

--
killertofu
killertofu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31024
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=512406

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

You are spelling it wrong (you have an extra c). Are you spelling it like
that in excel? I never use that function.

=CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1)
and
=CONCATENATE(A1,TEXT(B1,"00"),C1)
both work for me.

"killertofu" wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the help.

How come CONCACTENATE wouldnt work for this?

--
killertofu
killertofu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31024
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=512406

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Yes, the #NAME error gives it away - it doesn't recognise the function.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
killertofu

Thanks for the help, in both excel and my spelling. I never spelled it
out in excel, i just look it up. good thing tho.