Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DaveO

Default Can INDIRECT return a range array?

What I'm trying to do is use a INDIRECT function to return an range array so
a MATCH funtion can look into that range and find a value for me.

eg.

MATCH("Grand Total", INDIRECT("A1:A10"), 0)

This is part of a much larger formula and it's returning an N/A and I can
only assume that it's this part that is wrong as the rest seems to work in
isolation.

Any ideas that could help at all please guys.

TIA.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DaveO

For info the range ("A1:A10") was an example. I have another formula in the
INDRIECT in my sheet which calculates the range I need to look from.

I'm putting this in as a caveat as I'm sure I'll be told I don;t need to use
an INDIRECT if this was as simple as I portray. Just trying to make an
example of a returned range.

TIA.

"DaveO" wrote:

What I'm trying to do is use a INDIRECT function to return an range array so
a MATCH funtion can look into that range and find a value for me.

eg.

MATCH("Grand Total", INDIRECT("A1:A10"), 0)

This is part of a much larger formula and it's returning an N/A and I can
only assume that it's this part that is wrong as the rest seems to work in
isolation.

Any ideas that could help at all please guys.

TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Can you give an example that returns #N/A when it shouldn't, as that works
fine for me.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"DaveO" wrote:

What I'm trying to do is use a INDIRECT function to return an range

array so
a MATCH funtion can look into that range and find a value for me.

eg.

MATCH("Grand Total", INDIRECT("A1:A10"), 0)

This is part of a much larger formula and it's returning an N/A and I

can
only assume that it's this part that is wrong as the rest seems to work

in
isolation.

Any ideas that could help at all please guys.

TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DaveO

Just for info for others in case they read this post, I got around the issue
by using other functions.

Formula now looks like this...

=TEXT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2, MATCH(0,OFFSET(INDIRECT("A" &
MATCH(J1,A$1:A$10000, 0)), 2, 1, 1, 40), 0) + 1,1)), "dd-mmm")

Obviously this is designed for my worksheet and my set-up but if you're
interested it may help you in the future.