Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lushus21

Default i need an excel wizard

don know how to explain but imagine

Course (eg Math) arcoss the top

students ( John, Kim...) down the side

each course is different in lenght( math 4 hours, science 3 hours etc)

some are require for some ( john must take math ) which is denoted with
a "x" symbol

some are optional (it is optiona for kim to take science ) which is
denoted with a "o" symbol

i need a column at the end that give me total required hours , total
optional, and total combined

note: if the course is niether require nor optional then nothing is in
the cell

HELP HELP HELP

if this in not clear please reply and we can chat on MSN or something

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
lushus21
lushus21's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31475

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cindee

Hours 4 4 6 5 2 TOTALS
Name Course1 Course2 Course3 Course4 Course5 REQ OPT
Bob x o x x 12 4
Sue o x o x 9 10
Joan o x x o 9 6
Jim x o x x o 15 6
Larry o x o 6 9

I created a formula to use the "Xs" in each student's row to determine
whether or not to sum the Course Hours.
=SUMIF(I198:M198,"x",$I$201:$M$201) where ROW 198 is the student and ROW 201
is the hours per class. That row is static, thus the $ sign. For the
Optional classes, substitute the "x" for "o"

Let me know if this doesn't help...

Cindee