Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave.e

Default powers to negative numbers

How can I find the inverse function of sine and also how do you find powers
to negative numbers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Dave,

Check the ASIN function for the inverse of sine under Help.

Still thinking about your other question.

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

Dave,

=ASIN(value) (arc-sine)

The return is in radians, not degrees. In degrees:

=ASIN(value)*360/PI()

For negative powers, for example,

=2^(-3)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Dave.e" wrote in message
How can I find the inverse function of sine and also how do you find powers
to negative numbers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Dave.e" wrote:
how do you find powers to negative numbers

=4^(-2)
=1/4^2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

To get the inverse of an even power of a negative you should be able to
use something like.

=POWER(ABS(A1),1/2) where A1 is -100 the result is 10. Unfortunately,
that is not 100% accurate because 10 needs to be multiplied by -10.
This is due to the even number of times the number is multiplied by
itself.

If you are looking for odd powers then a negative is always returned.

=POWER(ABS(A1),1/3) where A1 is the negative number you are looking to
find the 3rd power of. So if A1 is -100 the result would be
-4.64158883361278 which raised to the 3rd power results in -100. Even
power analysis will always result in a positive.

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511085

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Bernie:
I believe that should be =ASIN(value)*180/PI()
That's why I always use =DEGREES(ASIN(value))
best wishes
--
Bernard
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme