Pat

Default What is the correct precentage difference

This is perhaps a mathematical question I am querying. If AU42 = 3 and AR42
= 7 what is the percentage difference of the two.

=AU42/AR42*100/100

This is my best shot at it.

regards
Pat

KL

Iguess it depends on the comparison basis:

If you trying you determine how much higher is 7 than 3, then I'd say
=AR42/AU42-1
If how much lower is 3 than 7, then viceversa =-(AU42/AR42-1)

Regards,
KL

"Pat" wrote in message
This is perhaps a mathematical question I am querying. If AU42 = 3 and
AR42
= 7 what is the percentage difference of the two.

=AU42/AR42*100/100

This is my best shot at it.

regards
Pat

Jack Sheet

I may be wrong but I think that the question is ambiguous.
Can you say what numerical value you would want returned given the two
numbers in your example?

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
"Pat" wrote in message
This is perhaps a mathematical question I am querying. If AU42 = 3 and
AR42
= 7 what is the percentage difference of the two.

=AU42/AR42*100/100

This is my best shot at it.

regards
Pat

crispbd

% Difference is generally defined as:

(X1 - X2)
------------- * 100
(X1+X2) / 2

So if A1 = 3, B1 = 7 column C's % difference formula can be written as

=(A1-B1)/((A1+B1) / 2) * 100

--
crispbd
crispbd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10880

Jack Sheet

In that case
=(AR42-AU42)/AU42
returns 1.3333 etc
If you want that displayed as a % it is probably best to number-format the
cell as a percentage, and it will then be displayed as
133.333%

--

"Pat" wrote in message
This is perhaps a mathematical question I am querying. If AU42 = 3 and
AR42
= 7 what is the percentage difference of the two.

=AU42/AR42*100/100

This is my best shot at it.

regards
Pat

JE McGimpsey

Just a (slightly) more efficient formula:

=AR42/AU42 - 1

as below, formatted as a percentage.