Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave

Default SUMIF Question Criteria

I'm trying to sum numbers where the criteria is SOTB. In my data, SOTB is
often, but not always, buried in other text, but the function seems to
ignore any item which contains any words other than SOTB. Is there some way
I get it to recognize any entry that contains SOTB anywhere in the cell?

Thx all

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:

For data in A1:A10
Col_A contains text
Col_B contains numbers

C1: =SUMIF(A1:A10,"*SOTB*",B1:B10)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Dave" wrote:

I'm trying to sum numbers where the criteria is SOTB. In my data, SOTB is
often, but not always, buried in other text, but the function seems to
ignore any item which contains any words other than SOTB. Is there some way
I get it to recognize any entry that contains SOTB anywhere in the cell?

Thx all

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Case sensitive? If case sensitive

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(FIND("SOTB",A1:A30))),B1:B30)

if not

=SUMIF(A1:A30,"*SOTB*",B1:B30)

where A is the range with SOTB and B the range you want to SUM

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm trying to sum numbers where the criteria is SOTB. In my data, SOTB is
often, but not always, buried in other text, but the function seems to
ignore any item which contains any words other than SOTB. Is there some
way I get it to recognize any entry that contains SOTB anywhere in the
cell?

Thx all

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions