Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barry

Default first saturday in a month

I need a formula to find the first saturday in the month. i.e. cell a1
contains the date 2006 02 01, i need to know the first saturday in feb.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

This seems to work: =a1-DAY(a1)+8-WEEKDAY(a1)

"Barry" wrote:

I need a formula to find the first saturday in the month. i.e. cell a1
contains the date 2006 02 01, i need to know the first saturday in feb.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:32:13 -0800, "Barry"
wrote:

I need a formula to find the first saturday in the month. i.e. cell a1
contains the date 2006 02 01, i need to know the first saturday in feb.

If your date in A1 is always the first day of the month, then:

=A1+7-WEEKDAY(A1)

will give you the first Saturday of the month.

If the date in A1 can be any date in the month, the first Saturday of that
month will be given by:

=A1-DAY(A1)+8-WEEKDAY(A1-DAY(A1)+1)

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann

"bpeltzer" wrote in message
This seems to work: =a1-DAY(a1)+8-WEEKDAY(a1)

Are you sure? It doesn't seem to work for me for all dates but

=A2-DAY(A2)+8-WEEKDAY(A2-DAY(A2)+8,1)

seems to work OK

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Barry" wrote:

I need a formula to find the first saturday in the month. i.e. cell a1
contains the date 2006 02 01, i need to know the first saturday in feb.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

Thanks, you're right. =A2-DAY(A2)+8-WEEKDAY(A2-DAY(A2)+1,1) gets it.
The logic, BTW: Get to the first day of the month-- a2-day(a2)+1 -- and
make an adjustment based on the weekday that the first of the month falls on
-- 7-weekday(a2-day(a2)+1,1) --. The adjustment adds 0 if the first is
Saturday, 1 on Friday, etc.
--Bruce

"Barry" wrote:

I need a formula to find the first saturday in the month. i.e. cell a1
contains the date 2006 02 01, i need to know the first saturday in feb.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barry

Thanks, Ron's suggestion seems to work best.

"Barry" wrote:

I need a formula to find the first saturday in the month. i.e. cell a1
contains the date 2006 02 01, i need to know the first saturday in feb.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 05:31:23 -0800, "Barry"
wrote:

Thanks very much ron.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

--ron