Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joy

Default trouble with seeing formula in formula bar

hi -
I have a large spreadsheet (excel for mac 2004) -- when i move within
the various cells of the file, the formula bar does not update to
reflect the current cell that I am in. it remains locked on a prior
formula. I can sometimes "trick" it to work by clicking in a cell and
hitting return - that seems to do the job for a short period of time,
but inevitably the problem reoccurs. I have also confirmed that my
Calculations are set to Automatic.

I started noticing this problem after I imported external data (from a
csv file) and turned on the 'refresh' feature. I have no idea if this
is causing the problem.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Joy

PS there are a number of array formulas in the workbook -- don't know
if that is at all related.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Don't understand why it would remain locked on another formula
but the part of fixing with F2+Enter could be addressed
by the TrimALL macro as long as calculation is turned on.
Be sure to read the descriptions for and topics previous to
the actual macro:

Better try on a copy of the worksheet, not knowing what the
problem actually is or whether you have data that might be
destroyed (like dates in wrong format).
---
HTH,

"Joy" wrote in message oups.com...
hi -
I have a large spreadsheet (excel for mac 2004) -- when i move within
the various cells of the file, the formula bar does not update to
reflect the current cell that I am in. it remains locked on a prior
formula. I can sometimes "trick" it to work by clicking in a cell and
hitting return - that seems to do the job for a short period of time,
but inevitably the problem reoccurs. I have also confirmed that my
Calculations are set to Automatic.

I started noticing this problem after I imported external data (from a
csv file) and turned on the 'refresh' feature. I have no idea if this
is causing the problem.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Joy

PS there are a number of array formulas in the workbook -- don't know
if that is at all related.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Hi Joy,
Missed the part of the refresh feature for external data, which
I am not familiar with. Take a look at Help topic "Refresh imported data"