Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miranda

Default How to make autosum update totals in excel

the sums in my spreadsheet are not updating as I add new data in the columns
they are defined to total. When I refresh the autosum function, the total
updates, but if I enter new data in the defined area thereafter, the total
remains the same.

This has only just started to happen in the last week. Up until that time
the totals would update automatically.

Any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Anne Troy

There could be 2 reasons for this.
1. Your worksheet is set to manual calculation under Tools--Options,
Calculation tab (should be automatic).
2. You're inserting cells and the new cells are not becoming part of your
formula. Did you check if the formula is, in fact, still correct after you
enter new data?
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Miranda" wrote in message
the sums in my spreadsheet are not updating as I add new data in the
columns
they are defined to total. When I refresh the autosum function, the total
updates, but if I enter new data in the defined area thereafter, the total
remains the same.

This has only just started to happen in the last week. Up until that time
the totals would update automatically.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miranda

Hi Anne,

1. I checked the "calculation" tab in the options menu, it is set to
automatic.
2. I haven't inserted any new cells in the formula range, just updated the
information contained in the existing ones. It was't updating the total
though.

I just closed and reopened the spreadsheet, and now the totals are updating
themselves again! I tried this earlier and it didn't correct the problem...

"Miranda" wrote in message
the sums in my spreadsheet are not updating as I add new data in the
columns
they are defined to total. When I refresh the autosum function, the total
updates, but if I enter new data in the defined area thereafter, the total
remains the same.

This has only just started to happen in the last week. Up until that time
the totals would update automatically.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Anne Troy

EWWW. Well, if it keeps happening to you, Miranda, try cleaning up your hard
drive, okay?
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/h...hard_drive.htm
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy