Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bruce

Default rounding values in in array before sum

Hi,

Anyone know how to round each cell before summing the data.

For example, I have data from A1:A10.
If I sum the data and then round eg.

round(sum(A1:A10),0)

This 'MAY' give me a different answer to rounding each of A1:A10 before the
sum.

How do I do the latter? Is it an array formula?

Rgds,

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Bruce

To do the latter is an array formula, which is committed or amended with
Ctrl+Shift+Enter when Excel includes the curly braces around the formula
{ }. Do not type them yourself.
{=SUM(ROUND(A1:A10,0))}

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bruce" wrote in message

Anyone know how to round each cell before summing the data.

For example, I have data from A1:A10.
If I sum the data and then round eg.

round(sum(A1:A10),0)

This 'MAY' give me a different answer to rounding each of A1:A10
before the
sum.

How do I do the latter? Is it an array formula?

Rgds,

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

or non-array

=SUMPRODUCT(ROUND(A1:A10,0))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Bruce" wrote in message

Anyone know how to round each cell before summing the data.

For example, I have data from A1:A10.
If I sum the data and then round eg.

round(sum(A1:A10),0)

This 'MAY' give me a different answer to rounding each of A1:A10
before the
sum.

How do I do the latter? Is it an array formula?

Rgds,

Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

In general you'll get a higher level of accuracy rounding the final sum
rather than each individual value within it.

Consider the situation where all cells A1:A10 contain 0.42

=SUM(A1:A10) =4.2
=ROUND(SUM(A1:A10),0)=4
=SUMPRODUCT(ROUND(A1:A10,0))=0

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bruce

Hi daddylonglegs,

Arithmatically you are correct.

In my problem I have data that is coverted from one unit to another and the
result goes into a system that only accepts whole numbers.
I want to use this formula to reconcile the output.

Rgds,