Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

Default YEAR function name not found

I'm having a problem with a function on a colleague's computer. The
following formula...
=YEAR(H6)
works find on my computer but returns a Name Not Found error on her
computer (Excel 2002, SP3). She states that she receives a message
when opening the file asking if she wants to update links. There are
no links in the workbook!

She does have the Analysis ToolPak add-in installed and the formula
=WEEKNUM(H6) works fine.

What's up? Isn't YEAR a standard function?

Thanks for the help.

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

It would appear that the "date" in H6 might be the result of a Named Range
that does not exist.........perhaps a type-O?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"John Michl" wrote:

I'm having a problem with a function on a colleague's computer. The
following formula...
=YEAR(H6)
works find on my computer but returns a Name Not Found error on her
computer (Excel 2002, SP3). She states that she receives a message
when opening the file asking if she wants to update links. There are
no links in the workbook!

She does have the Analysis ToolPak add-in installed and the formula
=WEEKNUM(H6) works fine.

What's up? Isn't YEAR a standard function?

Thanks for the help.

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

Thanks Chuck but I don't think that is the case. The spreadsheet works
fine on my computer. This would lead me to believe it is a settings
issue on the other computer. Is there an add-in or setting that might
impact the year function?

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

I know of nothing that might affect just the YEAR function........Maybe the
formula in H6 is lookig for a value in another workbook that does not exist
on your user's computer...........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"John Michl" wrote:

Thanks Chuck but I don't think that is the case. The spreadsheet works
fine on my computer. This would lead me to believe it is a settings
issue on the other computer. Is there an add-in or setting that might
impact the year function?

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

Figured it out. I'm not sure why by both the ATP and ATP - VBA add-ins
need to be installed. I was able to replicate the problem on another
computer that did not have Analysis ToolPak - VBA installed. I noticed
that the formula included the full path to the add-in. I installed the
add-in and all is fine. I'm going to post a message on the programming
forum and search for some understanding of the issue.

Problem solved but not understood!

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

If excel thinks there are links, I bet there are.

When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

If it's not an existing name causing the trouble, then maybe there's a user
defined function with that name.

I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name
Manager to search for any hidden names.

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

Apparently the link is to the Excel Analysis ToolPak - VBA addin. That
is what shows in the Edit Links dialog box. I don't know why since I'm
not calling any functions that would need it.

- John