Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
beauty_bobaloo

Default run macro when cell is selected

I have been trying to figure this out for hours now.

I just want to run a macro when a certain cell is selected.
upon investigation, i have found that I can right click on the sheet tab and
view the code. I can then add the following code:

If Target.Address = "$a$1" Then
run(macro1)
end if
End Sub

I know that this doesn't work, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Melissa
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gilles P (FR)

Try this that works, but i don't know why, sorry...
..
One for Selection change, one by formula

macro Target

macro Target
End Sub

Gilles P

"beauty_bobaloo" a écrit :

I have been trying to figure this out for hours now.

I just want to run a macro when a certain cell is selected.
upon investigation, i have found that I can right click on the sheet tab and
view the code. I can then add the following code:

If Target.Address = "$a$1" Then
run(macro1)
end if
End Sub

I know that this doesn't work, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Melissa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Otto Moehrbach

Change what you to the following:
If Target.Address = "$a$1" Then macro1
End Sub

"beauty_bobaloo" wrote in message
I have been trying to figure this out for hours now.

I just want to run a macro when a certain cell is selected.
upon investigation, i have found that I can right click on the sheet tab
and
view the code. I can then add the following code:

If Target.Address = "$a$1" Then
run(macro1)
end if
End Sub

I know that this doesn't work, but I can't figure out how to get it to
work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Melissa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Just a word of warning:

If Target.Address = "$a$1" Then macro1

won't ever fire macro1--assuming "option compare text" isn't included.

..Address will be upper case:
If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then macro1

===
I like this format:

if intersect(target,me.range("a1")) is nothing then
'do nothing
else
macro1
end if

I find it easier to type (no case worries) and easier to add more cells to the
check.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Otto Moehrbach

Dave
Thanks for that. I will remember it. I hope. Otto
Just a word of warning:

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
beauty_bobaloo

YOU GUYS ARE BRILLIANT!
Thankyou so much, I got it to work just by changing the cell reference to
upper case. I then changed the code as suggested. I am now going to proceed
to do this for about 150 cells. When any of these cells are pressed, I want
it to run the same macro, and use the value in the selected cell in the macro
so as to have a different outcome each time. I should just be able to copy
this code 150 times and put in the different cell references. Do you think
all of this will slow things down too much? Is there maybe a better way to do
this?

thanks again for your help.

Melissa

Just a word of warning:

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

Change what you to the following:
If Target.Address = "$a$1" Then macro1
End Sub

"beauty_bobaloo" wrote in message
I have been trying to figure this out for hours now.

I just want to run a macro when a certain cell is selected.
upon investigation, i have found that I can right click on the sheet tab
and
view the code. I can then add the following code:

If Target.Address = "$a$1" Then
run(macro1)
end if
End Sub

I know that this doesn't work, but I can't figure out how to get it to
work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Melissa

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Are the cells in a specific area:

if intersect(target,me.range("a1:a9,b12:b33,c1:c99")) is nothing then
'do nothing
else
macro1
end if

beauty_bobaloo wrote:

YOU GUYS ARE BRILLIANT!
Thankyou so much, I got it to work just by changing the cell reference to
upper case. I then changed the code as suggested. I am now going to proceed
to do this for about 150 cells. When any of these cells are pressed, I want
it to run the same macro, and use the value in the selected cell in the macro
so as to have a different outcome each time. I should just be able to copy
this code 150 times and put in the different cell references. Do you think
all of this will slow things down too much? Is there maybe a better way to do
this?

thanks again for your help.

Melissa

Just a word of warning:

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
beauty_bobaloo

Yes the cells are in specific areas.

This should work great!

Thankyou again for all of your help. This is the first question that I have
had to post (as I have been able to figure out my problems reading other
posts), And I am surprised and grateful for the prompt and knowledgable
resposes.

Melissa

beauty_bobaloo wrote:

YOU GUYS ARE BRILLIANT!
Thankyou so much, I got it to work just by changing the cell reference to
upper case. I then changed the code as suggested. I am now going to proceed
to do this for about 150 cells. When any of these cells are pressed, I want
it to run the same macro, and use the value in the selected cell in the macro
so as to have a different outcome each time. I should just be able to copy
this code 150 times and put in the different cell references. Do you think
all of this will slow things down too much? Is there maybe a better way to do
this?

thanks again for your help.

Melissa

Just a word of warning:

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Otto Moehrbach

Melissa
Did you understand Dave's response that you don't have to copy the code
150 times (in fact you can't do that, it won't work)? Look at what Dave
gave you and you will see that you need only the one macro and that all the
cells will be listed in that one macro. HTH Otto

beauty_bobaloo wrote:

YOU GUYS ARE BRILLIANT!
Thankyou so much, I got it to work just by changing the cell reference
upper case. I then changed the code as suggested. I am now going to
proceed
to do this for about 150 cells. When any of these cells are pressed, I
want
it to run the same macro, and use the value in the selected cell in the
macro
so as to have a different outcome each time. I should just be able to
copy
this code 150 times and put in the different cell references. Do you
think
all of this will slow things down too much? Is there maybe a better way
to do
this?

thanks again for your help.

Melissa

Just a word of warning:

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
beauty_bobaloo

Yes, thankyou, I did see that. I have now got it working with only a couple
of lines of code, and it works Great. I have just implemented the project
that I was working on, and the users are very impressed, and so am I.
Thankyou again for all your help.

Melissa

beauty_bobaloo wrote:

YOU GUYS ARE BRILLIANT!
Thankyou so much, I got it to work just by changing the cell reference
upper case. I then changed the code as suggested. I am now going to
proceed
to do this for about 150 cells. When any of these cells are pressed, I
want
it to run the same macro, and use the value in the selected cell in the
macro
so as to have a different outcome each time. I should just be able to
copy
this code 150 times and put in the different cell references. Do you
think
all of this will slow things down too much? Is there maybe a better way
to do
this?

thanks again for your help.

Melissa