Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ikeagle

Default Help to write a formula using a letter value and a number value

I need to write a formula that looks at a set of cells and determines if they
equal "F" or if they have numerical value of less than 59 and/or greater than
1. How would I write this? If "F" does not appear in any of the cells, then I
want it to equal "Z". If the numerical value is 0 or greater than 59, I want
it to equal "Z" as well. Thank you for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

Assuming your letters are in A1 and numbers in B1, enter this formula
in C1:

=IF(OR(A1<"F",B1=0,B159)"Z",IF(AND(A1="F",B11,B 1<59),"yes","not
specified")

You don't specify what you want the formula to do if the conditions are
met, so this outputs "yes". Your definition of requirements is a bit
loose (eg what happens when B1 = 1, or less than 0?). You don't say
what you want to do when the conditions are not met, so this outputs
"not specified".

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ikeagle

Pete:
In the meantime, prior to getting your post, I wrote the following formula:

=IF(Q4:U4="F",A4),IF(Q4:U4<60,A4),IF(Q4:U459,"Z") ,IF(Q4:U4=0,"Z")

Why won't this work? Cells Q-U have either an "F", "D" or "D-" OR a number
from 0-59.

For each cell Q through U, if it is an F, D, D- or number between 1-59, I
want it to refer to the name in column A (in this case A4). If it is a number
less than 1 (0) then I want it to ="Z". If it is NOT an F, D or D- or a
number above 59, I also want it to = "Z".

Why won't my formula above work. I just tried the one you posted and it is
not working. Thanks so much for your help.

"Ikeagle" wrote:

I need to write a formula that looks at a set of cells and determines if they
equal "F" or if they have numerical value of less than 59 and/or greater than
1. How would I write this? If "F" does not appear in any of the cells, then I
want it to equal "Z". If the numerical value is 0 or greater than 59, I want
it to equal "Z" as well. Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

Where are you putting this formula?

You're looking for 5 results from 5 cells Q4:U4, do you want results in
5 different cells?

This should work for one cell

=IF(ISNUMBER(Q4),IF(OR(Q4=0,Q459),"Z",A4),A4)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486