Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Wendy

Default Do I use a Look up?

I have a column of city names in excel FILE A. In the column directly to the
right of the city, I want a formula to lookup from FILE B and enter the
correct county name from another work sheet column.

FILE B contains a column of all the possible city names and a column of
their county names.

I'd be so happy to have some help on this. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

=vlookup(a2,sheet2!a:b,2)
would be the basic formula.

You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Wendy

I just posted another question -- I want to format the results that returned
#N/A to white so I don't have to look at them. I expected the few #N/A
results because there were cities (from other states) that did not have
corresponding counties. Maybe and IF function? If there's a VLookup match, if
not, return a blank???

Wendy wrote:

I have a column of city names in excel FILE A. In the column directly to the
right of the city, I want a formula to lookup from FILE B and enter the
correct county name from another work sheet column.

FILE B contains a column of all the possible city names and a column of
their county names.

I'd be so happy to have some help on this. Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

=if(a2="","",if(iserror(vlookup(...)),"",vlookup() )))

It's kind of redundant, but there's not a better way.