Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tina

Default value function

May I know what is wrong over here?

I have a formula in A1 cell (eq. 3+5 formatted as text) and try to let B1
have the result of A1. so I set B1 =Value(A1)...it doesn't work but it will
work if I put =value(3+5)...
Is there anyone can tell me what is wrong here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Nothing wrong, that is the way excel works, you need either VBA or and old
xlm trick which is not recommended since it can crash in earlier versions

here's the VBA version

Option Explicit

Function Eval(myStr As String) As Variant
Eval = Application.Evaluate(myStr)
End Function

=EVAL(A1)

will return 8

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/install.htm

how to install macros or UDFs

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"tina" wrote in message
May I know what is wrong over here?

I have a formula in A1 cell (eq. 3+5 formatted as text) and try to let B1
have the result of A1. so I set B1 =Value(A1)...it doesn't work but it
will
work if I put =value(3+5)...
Is there anyone can tell me what is wrong here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tina

Thank you very much
It's a really help a lot.

Tina

"tina" wrote in message
May I know what is wrong over here?

I have a formula in A1 cell (eq. 3+5 formatted as text) and try to let B1
have the result of A1. so I set B1 =Value(A1)...it doesn't work but it
will
work if I put =value(3+5)...
Is there anyone can tell me what is wrong here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

I don't remember where I read this (probably in a John Walkenbach book,) but
I just tried this and it also worked. I created a Named formla (named range)
like so:

EvalCellToLeft =EVALUATE(!F15)

When you create the named range, just use whatever cell is to the left of
where you currently are. If you don't want it to be specific to the
worksheet you are in, use the ! with nothing before it.) Then with this, I
tried the following and it worked:

3+5 8
3*5 15
3/5 0.6
3^5 243

It also worked when I tried the formula in a different worksheet. BTW, the
formula is of course =EvalCellToLeft
Also, you could of course name it to anything you wanted. It would not work
in a different workbook unless you created the named formula there also.
--
Kevin Vaughn

"tina" wrote:

Thank you very much
It's a really help a lot.

Tina

"tina" wrote in message
May I know what is wrong over here?

I have a formula in A1 cell (eq. 3+5 formatted as text) and try to let B1
have the result of A1. so I set B1 =Value(A1)...it doesn't work but it
will
work if I put =value(3+5)...
Is there anyone can tell me what is wrong here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Regarding my previous post, I wonder if that is the old XLM trick to which
Peo is referring.
--
Kevin Vaughn

"tina" wrote:

May I know what is wrong over here?

I have a formula in A1 cell (eq. 3+5 formatted as text) and try to let B1
have the result of A1. so I set B1 =Value(A1)...it doesn't work but it will
work if I put =value(3+5)...
Is there anyone can tell me what is wrong here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

In pre 2002 versions if you copy the formula to another sheet it will crash
brutally and you will lose all work

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM
Find a Function to use accross different worksheets R. Hale Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 25th 04 07:07 AM