Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MAB

Default Counting Function

I have a 2500+ line document with different years indicated in column D. How
would I use the count (??) function to count the number of occurances for
1998, 1999, 2000, etc?

The help function isn't very much help to me.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
EdMac

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MAB

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Try:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(D1:D2500) = 1999))
--
Kevin Vaughn

"MAB" wrote:

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MAB

This gives me a #VALUE! error message.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you,

MAB

"MAB" wrote:

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

What is in that range other than dates? I tried deleting a date to see if it
was being caused by blanks. That did not do anything. But when I inserted a
space in a cell I got the #value error. I am sure that other data could
cause that error. Like text (you can't perform the year function on text,
only on dates.)
--
Kevin Vaughn

"MAB" wrote:

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MAB

Hmm, I don't know. I just formatted all the cells where the dates are to
Date format (mm/dd/yyyy). I even did a text to columns on that column, yet I
still get the #Value! error.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for all your help so far. :-)

"MAB" wrote:

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Ok, but what else is in that range? For instance D1 might be a heading.
Also, does it work if you do it on a small range? For instance,

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(D3:D210) = 1999))

If it works on the smaller range, you could try it on progressively larger
ranges until you get an error and thus locate the source of the problem
(assuming the formula works for you at all. It is working for me, of course.)
--
Kevin Vaughn

"MAB" wrote:

Hmm, I don't know. I just formatted all the cells where the dates are to
Date format (mm/dd/yyyy). I even did a text to columns on that column, yet I

"MAB" wrote:

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MAB

LOL!

See, that's why I come here for help. I was including all of column D in
the formula instead of just including the area where the valid data is.

I got it to work when I used it correctly.

Thanks for all your input and patience.

MAB

"MAB" wrote:

Hmm, I don't know. I just formatted all the cells where the dates are to
Date format (mm/dd/yyyy). I even did a text to columns on that column, yet I

"MAB" wrote:

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Glad you got it working.
--
Kevin Vaughn

"MAB" wrote:

Hmm, I don't know. I just formatted all the cells where the dates are to
Date format (mm/dd/yyyy). I even did a text to columns on that column, yet I

"MAB" wrote:

*sigh*

I regretted to provide information that the dates are formatted as
dd/mm/yyyy, so the formulas provided to me will not work.

Is there another way this can be done?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Type

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500,1999)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"EdMac" wrote in
message ...

=COUNTIF(D1:D2500=1999) - use the year you want

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504479

UDF help please Adam Kroger Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 17th 05 07:21 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
Formula to list unique values JaneC Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 10th 04 12:25 AM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM