Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bri

Default indexing problem, I think

Greetings

Think of several worksheets in the same workbook: MasterList, Cat1,
Cat2, Cat3 .... All of these worksheets contain tables with exactly the
same structure. The MasterList is used to populate the tables in the other
worksheets.

The upper left data cell in each of the tables in Cat1, Cat2, Cat3 ... is
A8. Now, in each of these worksheets Cat1, Cat2, Cat3 ... I want cell A5
to show the value that is in the MasterList, exactly 5 columns to the right
of the value shown in A8.

Similarly, I want cell C3 in Cat1, Cat2, Cat3 ... to show the value that
is in the MasterList, exactly 6 columns to the right of the value shown in
A8.

(eg: if A8 in worksheet Cat1 contains the value 5662, then A3 should show
the value in the MasterList cell 5 columns to the right of 5662, and C3
should show the value in the MasterList cell 6 columns to the right of 5662.
In all of the tables, the value 5662 is in the A column.)

Any help would be appreciated.
Bri

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

One way ..

In A5: =INDEX(MasterList!E:E,MATCH(A8,MasterList!A:A,0))
In C3: =INDEX(MasterList!F:F,MATCH(A8,MasterList!A:A,0))

Or, with some minimal error trapping for empty cells / zero returns in A8:

In A5:
=IF(OR(A8={"",0}),"",INDEX(MasterList!E:E,MATCH(A8 ,MasterList!A:A,0)))

In C3:
=IF(OR(A8={"",0}),"",INDEX(MasterList!F:F,MATCH(A8 ,MasterList!A:A,0)))

(btw .. Anny?, I've responded to your follow on questions in the other post)
--
Max
Singapore