Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mary

Default Compare and copy

I need to compare to columns of data that are in contained in separate tabs
and when a match is found, then I would like to copy the information in an
adjacent cell to the second tabbed spreadsheet.

What is this type of function called?

Does anyone know if this can be done? I am sure it can be, if I knew where
to look. Excel is so powerful and I just know someone knows how to do this.

Thanks as always appreciate your expertise and assistance!
Mary
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

assume the values start in A2 you want to lookup starts in A2 and the values
you want to lookup from starts
in Sheet1!A2 and the adjacent cells are in B

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$200,0)),VLOOK UP(A2,Sheet1!$A$2:$B$500,2,0),"No
Match")

copy down (change ranges and cells to fit your data)

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Mary" wrote in message
I need to compare to columns of data that are in contained in separate tabs
and when a match is found, then I would like to copy the information in an
adjacent cell to the second tabbed spreadsheet.

What is this type of function called?

Does anyone know if this can be done? I am sure it can be, if I knew
where
to look. Excel is so powerful and I just know someone knows how to do
this.

Thanks as always appreciate your expertise and assistance!
Mary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur

Hi,

You may want to try the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

Assume you data is in A3:A5 of "sheet 1" and other data is in A3:A5 of
"Names1"

In cell B3 fo sheet 1, enter the following array formula

=if(OR(EXACT(A3,Names1!$A$3:A5),A3))

Regards