David

Default {=TABLE(,H16)} more help

Difficult to find detailed help on above function. I get this function not
valid, even if entered as an array formula. I have done this once before and
I know I need to select a region, but it still remains confusing.
--
David
Michael R Middleton

David -

Difficult to find detailed help on above function. I get this function not
valid, even if entered as an array formula. I have done this once before
and I know I need to select a region, but it still remains confusing. <

It's usually entered using the Data | Table command.

There's considerable Help on the "data table" topic.

- Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

David

Thanks Michael. I am actually working out of a book and following directions
written by a Microsoft author and am still having some difficulty. It is
becoming a little clearer, but I must be doing something wrong, because I can
not get my answer to replicate the book and I believe the books calculation
is correct.
Thanks again.

"Michael R Middleton" wrote:

David -

Difficult to find detailed help on above function. I get this function not
valid, even if entered as an array formula. I have done this once before
and I know I need to select a region, but it still remains confusing. <

It's usually entered using the Data | Table command.

There's considerable Help on the "data table" topic.

- Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

JulieD

Hi David

if you'ld like to mention the book and page number one of us might have it
on the shelf and can take a look at the exercise, or alternatively, if you
feel like typing out the exercise we can check it out - books have been
known to be wrong :)

Cheers
JulieD

"David" wrote in message
Thanks Michael. I am actually working out of a book and following
directions
written by a Microsoft author and am still having some difficulty. It is
becoming a little clearer, but I must be doing something wrong, because I
can
not get my answer to replicate the book and I believe the books
calculation
is correct.
Thanks again.

"Michael R Middleton" wrote:

David -

Difficult to find detailed help on above function. I get this function
not
valid, even if entered as an array formula. I have done this once
before
and I know I need to select a region, but it still remains confusing. <

It's usually entered using the Data | Table command.

There's considerable Help on the "data table" topic.

- Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

hgrove

David wrote...
Thanks Michael. I am actually working out of a book and following

directions
written by a Microsoft author and am still having some difficulty. It

is becoming a
little clearer, but I must be doing something wrong, because I can not

get my
answer to replicate the book and I believe the books calculation is

correct.

The more you use Microsoft software and the more you read Microsoft
produced or publiched documentation, the more you'll come to realize
just how many errors and incompletions or ambiguities there are in
those publications.

Certainly in Excel 97 and 2000 it's not possible to enter TABLE as a
function in cell formulas. It can only be 'entered' using the menu
command Data Table... It's Excel's implementation of 123 Release 2's
data tables, and the big difference is that Excel's implementation is
looped into the recalculation functionality while 123's required manual
refresh.

This enhanced functionality in Excel required something the
recalculation facility could work with, and that happens to be the
TABLE pseudofunction. It looks like a function, but it's not a function
you can enter yourself into cell formulas, and it's completely useless
anywhere else you can enter formulas (data validation, conditional
formatting, defined names, etc.).

So you need to use Data Table... to create a range that uses TABLE.
I'd be very surprised if your book didn't state this explicitly, so I
suspect you're trying to do this on your own without following the
procedures in your book. If so, won't work.

--
hgrove
hgrove's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11432